FAQs from Sellers

How much will it cost to sell my property?

There are a number of elements to consider:

An Energy Performance Certificate Our commission fee, which is based on an agreed percentage of the sale price plus VAT which is due on exchange of contracts and payable on completion We cover all marketing expenses unless you ask us to undertake activities outside our scope Solicitors fees

What is an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?

An EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) measures the energy efficiency of a property using a scale of A-G and is valid for 10 years. It is a legal requirement to complete an EPC before selling a property.

Who will conduct viewings on my property and when will they occur?

We will accompany all viewings during our office hours, 9am- 6pm, Monday to Friday. We also conduct viewings out of hours or at weekends by appointment.

If I accept an offer will my property still be viewed?

This will depend on what you agree with the prospective purchaser. Usually it is agreed that viewings will cease for a number of weeks to give the buyer a fair opportunity to exchange contracts.

Do I need to be present for viewings?

As we will accompany all viewings there is no need for you to be there too, in fact prospective buyers often feel more relaxed when the owner is not present.

Where are my Title Deeds?

Your Title Deeds are proof of ownership of your property. They will be held by your bank or building society if you have a mortgage and your solicitor will obtain the deeds and let the buyer's solicitor have a copy.

Do I need other documents beside the title deeds when selling my property?

A property for sale requires a number of property documents to be produced besides the title deeds. The legal aspects of buying and selling property are called conveyancing. The start of the conveyancing process begins with the property title deeds and Local Authority searches. When selling a property your conveyancer sends the buyers conveyancer a draft contract. Depending on the type of property, leasehold documents and any covenants will also be sent to the buyer’s conveyancer.

Do I have to pay Stamp Duty?

No, the buyer is responsible for paying Stamp Duty

When do I have to move out?

On the completion date, this is mutually agreed by yourself and the buyer.

Do I have to pay Capital Gains Tax on the property?

If you are selling a property that is your main home, you won't have to pay tax on it as long as you satisfy certain conditions. However, if you are selling a property that is not your main home, it is likely you may have to pay Capital Gains Tax.